I'm sure most of you have heard about the massive flooding in the mid-west and our area was not immune to it. We have the Pecatonica river a mile from us and it feeds into the Rock river. It's not that we got so much rain, although we did get a lot for several days, but areas north of us just got inundated with upwards of a foot of rain in a week's time. That water has to go somewhere so downstream it goes! The water's been rising for a couple weeks and I think has finally crested today for most of this area. Thankfully it hasn't gotten too close to our house, but we do have a constant battle going on in our basement between our sump pump and the water that would like to take up residency there!
One of the roads that leads into Shirland is flooded over and it'll be another week or more before it's passable again. I haven't seen it this bad in over 15 years and even then I don't think it flooded over as much as it has now. The kids have had a ball going down and watching the fish, crawdads, and turtles swim across the road! I won't let them in the water since there is a lot of farm and field runoff in it so thankfully we have the pool and they are content with that.
There are about 400 families in the Rockford area that are out of their homes and I think FEMA was here yesterday to asses the damage. I travel in Beloit, WI for errands and there are several streets under water, including the Post Office area and the Police Station. The rivers are beautiful most of the time, but can sometimes cause a great deal of stress!
No comments:
Post a Comment