Monday, June 9, 2008

Wild Weather

Well, we finally seem to have finished with a four day stretch of wicked weather. The winds blew and the rain has poured. One of these days I'll get a rain gauge so I can know how much we actually get.

Mom and Dad got hit hard on Thursday with really high winds that were clocked at 66 miles per hour at the airport, three miles from their house. They ended up loosing two big trees that snapped in half, a huge lilac bush, multiple large limbs from other trees, lots of branch debris, and the shingles off the roof of a small outbuilding. They also lost power that day for almost the whole day and it was HOT out. Luckily Mom had some water in jugs that they could use to rinse up with since they had no water in the house, but it was so hot and they had no air and couldn't run fans to try to cool off with! They worked on cleaning up the yard most of the day, but then it started raining again and rained for the next three days.

I took Alex and Mariah down there today and we worked for almost four hours hauling debris to piles and cutting and sawing what we could. The neighbor's son is going to come out Sunday with a couple friends who heat with wood and they are going to saw up the trees and haul them away (yea!). We are all stiff and sore from all the bending and lifting. Bed is going to feel wonderful tonight!

2 comments:

Lora said...

Wow, that does sound like some wild weather! I'm glad everyone's OK, though! It's been really weird...we've gotten some rain in Topeka, but for about the last month all the severe storms and tornadoes have gone right around us, sometimes missing us by only 20 miles. I'm definitely not complaining, though!

Lora said...

I tagged you!

http://lora.mortier.org/?p=411




Mariah the waitress

Mariah the waitress


Mariah the waitress