Of course I had to buy some onions, peppers, and spices to add to the free cucumbers!
I intended to use this old hand crank grinder for the veggies. I remember my mom using it to make her relish every year. It's a lot of work, but what else are you going to use?
Oh yeah! I have this baby I can use! I forgot that I had the grinder attachment! Got this as a wedding gift 24 years ago from my parents-in-law and use it all the time, but never had used the grinder part. What a lifesaver to find this in the dark recesses of the pantry cabinet.
I got my lovely assistant to do the hard part, especially the onions! She had tears running down her face. Thanks, sweetie!
Well, the cucs and onions have soaked in salt water for three hours. The jars are sterilizing. It's show time!
Ken of course would rather play with the big boy toys while all the cookin' is going on!
Ah, yes. The final product! Those "free cucumbers" made nine pints of relish. We won't go into what it cost to buy the ingredients that I didn't have on hand.....
Since it was such a nice, cool, day I figured I would make use of the three hour cucumber soaking time and keep on a'cookin'. Made three loaves of zucchini bread.....yes there are only two in the picture. We always eat on right away!
Finished up the zucchini with Zucchini Bites. They have grated carrot, zucchini, and bacon in them and are more like little quiches. They weren't too bad.
Ken wanted to go out for dinner last night and I assured him that we won't be eating out until all the garden produce is gone. That should be some time in October.....
Time to find more zucchini recipes!
No comments:
Post a Comment